Sistema de Banca para el Desarrollo (SBD) has more than ¢ 6 billion to address the emergency in the communities affected by Hurricane Otto. According to the National Emergency Commission (CNE), the resources are available for financial operators across the country. These are resources that the system has to handle emergencies. We asked operators to […]
Archives for November 28, 2016
More than 68 thousand people have no water after Hurricane Otto
After Hurricane Otto hit Costa Rica, more than 68,000 people have no access to drinkable water in the country. According to Yamileth Astorga, CEO of Aqueducts and Sewers (AyA), the most affected cantons are Upala, Los Chiles and San Carlos, where 35,440 people in the Northern Zone are affected. There are 6,068 people without water […]
Authorities will not allow “ghoulish tourism” in Upala
The authorities and the government are upset by the presence of some people that have nothing to do with aid organizations in Upala and surrounding areas. Therefore, president Luis Guillermo Solís announced that the government will not allow private vehicles in the area, so that the works being carried out are not hindered. There are […]
Attention: 85% of schools will resume classes on Monday
On Sunday, the MEP announced that 3,738 schools will reopen tomorrow. Minister Sonia Marta Mora said that only schools from the 7 cantons on red alert (La Cruz, Upala, Bagaces, Los Chiles, Guatuso and Corredores) will remain closed. There are another 332 establishments that, for various reasons, will not be able to resume classes either. […]
Pouring rains won’t stop on areas affected by Otto
According to Instituto Meteorológico Nacional (IMN), he weather conditions affecting Central America will continue to hit Costa Rica, including the areas that received Otto’s biggest impact. Juan Naranjo, from IMN, said that rains have been frequent over the weekend in Upala and Bagaces and that they will continue at night, mainly in the higher areas. […]
The shocking images of the fire in León XIII
Juan Mora was removing the debris from one of the forty shacks that were consumed by the fire. The man has not been able to sleep since 11:20 p.m. on Saturday, when the neighbors from Garabito in León XIII cried for help. Since then, he got up to try and help. Firefighters used his house […]